Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fashion Memories: Taffeta and Crinoline

         What’s your first fashion memory?  I love the one my fellow-Scarlet (JBR) shares explaining how punishment for her was her mom explaining, “If you don’t quit throwing that fit, I’ll make you wear shorts to school instead of a dress!”  Oh, how she’d straighten up fast, because nothing could be worse than not being allowed to wear her cute dresses.  Other friends (CB, KG, KMA) explain the trials found in getting their little girls dressed for school each day. I get great pleasure as they share stories of choosing hairbows, tights, and all the other outfit-compliments that are a “must” for today’s primary graders. It was "Miss Priss" who introduced me to Fancy Nancy.
         My first memory of fashion had me accompanying my mother to department stores, and as she tried on clothes, I tried on all the hats! My preferences then bent toward ruffled sox and Mary-Jane flats along with circle skirts topping petticoats.  I have not outgrown the desire to swish in taffeta and twirl with crinoline. Of course, knee injuries from playing chase and hide and seek added a bruise and band-aid to the girly-girl image.
         Today, “really cute shoes” with complimentary handbags and jewelry, blouses and sweaters topped with pretty scarfs in my favorite colors fill My Fashion and Style boards on Pinterest. A couple of shops here have great fashion jewelry such as chandelier earrings and huge chunky rings. They also showcase wonderful scarfs and dresses for skinny people. Really pretty jewelry, whether costume jewelry or gold, sterling silver, always has been “oooh-la-la” to me. (Serendipity and Studio C in Paragould, Now and Then in Rector, and Feather Your Nest and The Treasure Chest in Piggott)
             When I recently examined a baby’s breath tiny pearl necklace and a teency heart bracelet engraved with my initials, my jewelry fascination was revealed. Rings, bracelets, necklaces can be had for “cheap” today, or you can swing by Jared’s to pick up a few Pandora charms.  Ask me about “Prom-Queen Forever” and “Lucy the Fish” charms.  Aren't you just tickled by the commercial on TV for the “Red Hot Love Bead?”
              Wearing pretty jewelry each day insists on manicured nails and a great haircut.  It’s fun to stack bracelets and rings, feeling Queenly, even in jeans in Rector. Just as an FYI, I don’t intend on carrying the Queen’s handbag! (subject of an upcoming Post!)

No comments:

Post a Comment