Monday, February 4, 2013

Hospitable Housekeeping: A Most Worthy Goal

                 One of my most very favoritest statements regarding the art of “hospitable housekeeping” is this: “I really feel comfortable coming to your house. It’s so nice to know that if I pick up something, I’ll know exactly where to put it back down!”
          I Hate Housework.  I do it.  Occasionally.  I don’t like to do it unless I am able to tell a difference.  If I am going to give a whole morning to nothing but dusting, vacuuming, swiffering, and cleaning the kitchen, and the shower, the tub, the ….bathroom…., well I want everyone to be certain they can tell that I have given significant time to cleanliness.  Aside from my ratty looking outfit, my hair in disarray, and foul mood, I’d like someone to be able to say without a doubt that something is different here! 

If you use Windex on the bathroom mirror too often, you won’t get that, “Well, would you look at that.  Who Knew!” feeling of accomplishment!
                 Perhaps we all should have help with housework.  It dates back to ancient time when Cinderella had the blue birds helping with the laundry. Snow White had the forest creatures and the funky dwarfs to assist, and everybody was in a most cheerful mood, whistling, dancing and singing, hoping for that someday when the prince would take them away from all this! Well, I have my prince, but the birdies and bunnies outside my kitchen window do not seem to be housework inclined.
                 I rather subscribe to dear departed Erma Bombeck’s philosophy.  If you leave the clutter alone long enough, your family will think that the sock BELONGS on the mantel!  I suggest that men who are over 6’ take a vow not to look on top of the refrigerator and certainly not to glance at the ceiling fan blades.  If necessary, they should not wear glasses in the house except to watch TV or read.  No one else can see those pesky cobwebs in the corner of the laundry room.  I certainly can’t.  I’m not in there enough!
                      Let’s all take a solemn oath and toast Erma with this pledge:  “If it doesn’t multiply, smell, catch fire, or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one else cares.  Why should you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment