Sunday, March 13, 2016

Cousins Gather Today for Lunch

Frances, Susie, Mildred in Shreveport shopping
     When Cousin Alicia said, "Your mother would be so proud," it stopped me mid-sentence. I know she would be pleased and oh, how I wish she were here. Swallowing tears, I took a moment, and said, "I do ok until she sits right beside me."
     At the Great Hall, I saw some of Mother's friends and some of Daddy's golfing buddies and Kiwanis Club friends. High School classmates, college friends from Henderson surfaced, too: Sarah O'Kelly Silliman and Jeanie Ballentine, and of all people, Tom Dillard. How connected our lives remain. You just never know who will surface and surprise you with a warm memory.
    The House on Harrison Street sold out this weekend. People who bought the book bought it for many different reasons, all of which were eye-opening for me. Many bought the accompanying CD of 115 photos and 12 recipes.
    Today our little shrunken family will meet for lunch together. Several of this group I have not seen since the 1983 get-together: Martha Ellen, Frances White, Susan and her husband Henry.
    We'll take lots of pictures and enjoy our time together with fond memories and a salute to our grandmothers who were sisters: The Gordon Girls - Alice, Susie, Janie, Frances, and Mildred.  Their brother George will be included in stories when our cousin Jean is remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment